Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

We Can Do Better: I Went to a Drake Concert & Lived


I'm late on this. Really late in fact. Yet, I was going through my iPhoto and I came across pictures of a date in which changed the face of my entire summer. Drake, the rapper believed to be the Messiah of hip-hop (-__-), thought it would be a nice idea to attend the Sounds Like Paper Concert at Southstreet Seaport. NOW, last year's concert was absolutely amazing. From a beautiful sunset, to weird clouds, to front row seats, and finally Kid Cudi shutting the stage down with songs from his mixtape "A Kid Named Cudi". Oh and did I forget Chester French did an excellent job with one of their first major performances? Yes.

However, this year was a complete 180. It's funny because as I write this post, I'm listening to 'Over'. Yea...the concert was over before it even started. Drake obviously has a pretty solid fanbase, coming from where he started. So, what made them think that giving a free concert for an artist that is 85% marketed to niggas, would be a successful plan? Please, I'm still waiting for an explanation. I get to Southstreet at around 5:30, meet up with some friends (I brought people with me too). I didn't think I would manage to find a nice seat/standing spot....but I have stain, so that wasn't a problem. All of a sudden, the DJ comes out, gets the crowd hyped....but keep in mind that we're dealing with black people here. Not to call out my people but honestly, that concert set us back like 300 years. Now you know, heat+black people+crowds=disaster (#simplemathematics). I kid you not, every 5 seconds, people were breaking out in fights, getting trampled, and one girl decided to have a seizure for the hell of it. About 20 minutes later, anarchy occured and I found myself running (mind you I'm wearing TOMS), for my LIFE because people tossed out all common sense. I finally found refuge in front of Ann Taylor about 15 minutes later. Yes...I survived.


Cuz them hipsters gone have to get along with them hood niggaz
, that clearly did not occur Drake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About

My photo
stunt and stay glorious facebook//www.facebook.com/micalaureljenkins